Going Global

Anyone that has spent more than ten minutes with me KNOWS how thankful I am to be associated with the heroic men and women who serve as our military missionaries overseas. Also the equal passion for conveying the strategic importance the Ministry to the Military (MTTM) is to the Harvest of Jesus Christ. You might be surprised to know that I called for these great men and women of God to help me lead a strategic change in our approach to our mission.

We launched a new perspective for MTTM ministry at the European Leadership Training Conference in Germany last week. It is my intent to bring a similar emphasis to our leaders in the Far East, the Southern Command and the USA. There has been some “broiling” and controversy in the wake of this meeting. My response to this debate?—Great! We need to dig-in to this subject, take it seriously, find out just what it means to us and then DO SOMETHING about. I’m not at all interested in just presenting some things we forget about the moment we walk out the door. I called for radical, immediate and continuous change.

So what’s all the fuss about it?

I presented a session entitled “Going Global; Thriving by learning to cross borders.” This was not so much a new perspective as it was an urgent cry for us to refocus on our existing vision and values with a missional awareness of the current world environment. It is a new way of looking at an old mission. It became a bit controversial when I suggested many of us had committed to the harvest closest to our doors while losing sight of our commitment to develop the ministry globally. I challenged our leaders to realign their efforts behind a truly global perspective—a commitment to relevant ministry locally and effective MTTM around the globe.
What does it mean to ‘develop a global mindset?’ I offered four guidelines:

Having a global mindset means…

1.  a willingness to ‘cross borders’. Not just geographical crossings but to seek out people of other cultures, languages, ethnicity, socio-economic standing. When we make the effort to cross a border we are saying that person is just as important to God as we are and we show them respect. Crossing borders requires that you see the poor, the hungry, the destitute and you learn ways you can connect.

2. you go and act to deliberately, intentionally interact with a culture beyond your own to bring them benefit. When this ‘border crossing’ becomes a way of life we will understand that we cross borders to show the love of Christ. We show the love of Christ by deliberate attempts to discover needs and to meet them.

3. It does not mean to reject or deny our own culture or nationality. In fact, without a clear and healthy sense of who and what we are and the culture that shaped us, it is very difficult to learn how to understand and accept others. We can only really understand and appreciate differences if we are first clear on what has been and what continues to be important to us.

4. you will passionately keep the over-arching perspective in view as well as burn for those you have personally crossed borders to reach. The Great Commission of Jesus is our model. Jesus loved, healed and served those directly in front of him as well as sending us into the whole world.

Bottom line to all of this? We start by reaching those closest to us—military, DOD and families. We then involve them in touching the world around us—near and far. The pattern is in Acts 1:8…Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and the uttermost parts of the earth. We cannot be a New Testament movement unless we have a demonstrated committment to the Harvest both locally and globally. If we put one over the other we are missing the mark!

About Robert A. Moore, Jr.

It's all about relationships and relationships depend upon effective communication. I'm not a real smart guy but I've tried to be a continual learner. God is my judge, his Son is my model, His Word is my roadmap and His Holy Spirit is my companion and guide. I have taken the time to earn a B.A. in C.E. & Psychology from Lee University then much later an MA in Org. Leadership from Azusa Pacific Univ. and more recently h a Doctor of Strategic Leadership(DSL) via Regent University. My biggest teachers however have been my 89 year old dad--what a man of courage and integrity. My little 100 pound Italian momma who we lost in 2005; my 4 siblings; my three sons Jeremy, Jonny & Rob III; my daughters-in-law Erika Beth Tiedemann Moore and Sheila Skelf Moore; more recently my grandsons Alex and Ben. The person who has taught me the most and keeps me between the ditches is my wife and love of more than 38 years, Patty. This blog helps me to keep learning ongoing and in focus with others.
This entry was posted in Courage, Leadership. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Going Global

1. Ray Waldo says:

Thanks for the great article Rob! I believe EVERY Christian should have such an attitude. After all, we are FIRST, a citizen of the Kingdom of God. There are no racial or geographic boundaries in the Kingdom. Our job is to go into all the world.

• Robert A. Moore, Jr. says:

Thanks Ray, coming from your perspective as a veteran pastor in the USA as well as an international ministry trainor, it lets us know we are on the right track. I hope you are the first of many posts we get on this subject. I’m getting a fair amount of email about the subject –with much good insight. I’m afraid, however, that until we engage more deeply it is just a mental concept that will have little bearing on a genuine change of how we do ministry. Thanks again for your input.

BTW, did you have any difficulty posting? Rob Moore

• Melisa Pagan De Medina says:

Blessing Ray–

I 2 agree with you. I have witnessed how the power of our Lord Jesus Christ has transformed the members @ New Life to not only think globally but to ACT globally. A love for the unsaved is what we all ought to have burning in our hearts, and if we don’t then we need to pray for it to be so. As you rightly put it Ray, that is “our job.”

Eternally In His Service,
      Melisa

2. Melisa Pagan De Medina says:

Blessings,

I enjoyed your article. I certainly can relate. See, since the closing of the
    base here in Puerto Rico, and the fact that Ft. Buchanan is now seen as a
    reserved base, ( I believe only 8 military families live there), we at New Life
    have had to go globally. Globally in the sense of crossing the cultural
    borders, reaching out to a people different from us, whose lifestyle is not like
    nor similar to ours. Whose language is not the same let alone their way of
    thinking and reasoning. We have had to seek His compassion in a new way so that
    our humaness can love with His love and be filled and empowered with His
    understanding, with compassion along with a passion for the unsaved. Thus we
    remain quite a small church, the spiritual growth in each member affirms His
    power and love for His people. I believe He is much more concerned with the
    spiritual growth of His children than with the quantity of people in the church.
    What profits the Kingdom if we don’t ever commit to living in holiness, to allowing His Spirit to saturate our existence (mind, body
    and soul)…if we don’t become living testimonies of His Majesty…

Bishop Moore, New Life has been blessed spiritually, Praise the Good Lord
    Jesus! Members who had not reached out to the poor, the homeless, the
    prostitutes, the drug addicts, the alcoholics… in our Church neighborhood,
    today do so with ease, with His joy, with desire and with His love. It has been
    a true blessing for me to see the manifestation of our small Church going
    culturally globally here in San Juan.

Eternally in His Service,
    Melisa Pagan De Medina, Pastor New Life Christian Center, San Juan, Puerto Rico

• Robert A. Moore, Jr. says:

Thank you so much for sharing Pastor Melisa. I’ve been to New Life many times and I know that you are located in a strategic place. When we found that building it was partly because it was fairly close to Fort. Buchanon. As time passed, however, it became clear that God intended for us to love and reach the people right around us. I have come outside of the building and found needles and other signs of drug abuse lying right in the street. Many churches on the mainland would say this was time to find another location. New Life just took this as an indication that their ministry was just that much more needed where you are.

It is quite possible that the numbers of US military on PR will grow again. When it does, I’m sure you will reach and involve more of them in what you are doing. Your community and your most immediate cultural context is your Jerusalme–your starting point. You NEVER stop reaching out and loving those closest to you. Neither do you stop there. Here’s the important thing: You stay faithful to love and embrace the Harvest where God has planted you. Whoever God enables you to reach–US military or local community resident–you will disciple them to Worship Jesus and love the lost just like He has taught you.

New Life is building the Kingdom Melisa. Size is not what pleases the Lord–obedience and faithfulness is.

Robert Moore

3. Ray Waldo says:

The thing that separates us is not race but culture. That is why there is a “generation gap.” Many people, of all races, use the “race card” but God does not value one “color” above another.
    Paul said,

1Co 9:20 (NIV) To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.
    1Co 9:21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.
    1Co 9:22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

The secret appears to be that we should deal with people in ways that respect their culture even though we may disagree with their culture. If everyone honored that concept, it would definitely enhance our evangelistic efforts – and might end a lot of conflicts and wars.

Thank God that He FIRST loved us – and showed us how true love works.

• Robert A. Moore, Jr. says:

You’ve put your finger right on the heart of it Ray. There was a time that we let race separate us but more often than not it is cultural differences that divide us or hinder our effective sharing.

One of the most celebrated modern researchers in cultural differences and their impact was a Dutch social anthropoligist and university professor by the name of Geert Hofestede. He wrote: “Culture is more often a source of conflict than of synergy. Cultural differences are a nuisance at best and often a disaster.”

He would go on to publish volumes, however, as to the power and reality of these cultural differences. They ARE REAL and troblesome when we try to build teams and organizations without being aware of their exisitance. Culture shapes our thinking and our values and is often unconcious. It can shape why and how we like/dislike or trust/distrust someone and the ideas they bring to us. When you read the book of Acts you see Paul always beginning his evangelistic efforts with the people he had some commonality with–the Jews. He knew, even though he was surrounded by a foreign culture, he could speak to the Jews and folks in the synagogue and have a starting point for his debate. He could bring them the gospel out of a common context–the Old Testament writings of the Law and the Prophets. When he spoke from Mars Hill in Athens he tried to use the touchpoint of their ‘religiousness’ and worship of ‘the unknown God.’ When he went on to Corinth he determined to get back to his basic message. “Jesus Christ and him crucified.” The challenge has always been to find a place in the contemporary culture where you can find a “hook” for the gospel message. The hook we found effective last year may be totally irrelevent for the culture and people surrounding us in this moment.

The message never changes. How we present that message to this culture may change drastically. Most importantly, how we present it is connected with how we live it out and display in in our lives. What does that mean where I live and work today? What can I learn from those who have gone before me but what of that lesson is no longer applicable.

Hard questions but ones the Holy Spirit, our constant teacher and guide, will help us to answer as we stay focused on the Great Commission and love the people around us.

Robert Moore

• Ray Waldo says:

Wow! That is a great summary of the real issues here. Your “comment” deserves to be a post. Why not cut and paste it into another article? You can make a series of articles that will have more impact than just the comments (which may not all be read by later visitors).
        I will be praying for your safe travel. That trip to Guam is a long one. I hope you were able to get business class. The cattle car treatment (that I endured) is horrid.
        Be blessed and be a blessings (you ARE)…
        Ray